Stephen King Books

For lovers of a good mystery mixed with the supernatural

Stephen King Books

Postby chrispflorida on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 pm

Currently reading "Duma Key". It's unfolding slowly, but very interestingly. Every line keeps your attention. And there's lots going on, lots of little events and characters tied into the main character. I call these "goodies". lots of goodies. Don't want to give any of it away, but stuff that's interesting other than just interesting characters, like the house, the shells, the doll...ok no more, read the book, you'll like it.
chrispflorida
Site Admin

Re: Stephen King Books

Postby chrispflorida on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 pm

just finished reading Duma Key. I have to say, I thought it was really great. One of King's best, in my opinion. There was always something happening, no lulls in the story, no multiple-page sections of descriptive background info in which nothing really happens. The story was told in first person by the main character, and this character was both interesting, and made intelligent choices which lead to realistic (sometimes good, sometimes bad) consequences. I hate when the story hinges on a character or characters making a foolish decision, because the author can't find a way to make the story work without his cast being a bunch of idiots. In this story, we know as much as Edgar, the storyteller, and discover things as he does. I felt the decisions and assumptions he made based on his knowledge were as good or better than those I would have made. This made the story very enjoyable for me, down to the last paragraph.

Brief synopsis (no spoilers): Middle-aged Edgar Freemantle is the victim of a terrible, life-changing accident. His recovery leads him a rental property on the Gulf Coast of South Florida, near Sarasota, on a small, sparsely inhabited island by the name of Duma Key. He takes up sketching and painting, something he hasn't done since his teen years, as part of his rehabilitation. Soon he realizes that the paintings are much more than canvas and paint; they hold a secret...

I won't give away any more than that. Some people may find the book fantastic. Some my find it too weird. Some will say it's silly. You know what they say about opinions...and mine is this book was a lot of fun to read, had great highs and lows, terrific imagery, and although king borrowed from some previous works, he managed to put a new twist on some old ideas in a way that made you feel like you spent your time reading this story wisely.

++++
chrispflorida
Site Admin

Return to Mysteries & Ghosts Stories